The WMGI International Student Exchange & Internship Program
While the West Michigan Global Initiative has big plans for the present, we’re also focused on the future, too. Our International Student Exchange & Internship Program offers two Dutch students summer internships at Michigan-based companies, non-profits or government institutions. Two U.S. students from the West Michigan region will similarly be placed in the Netherlands.
The objective is to establish a new generation of relationships between West Michigan and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, to nurture our longstanding historic business, cultural and governmental ties.
Highlights of the program include:
- Participating universities and colleges include: Grand Valley State University, Hope College, Calvin College and a prominent university in the Netherlands
- Advisory board members and WMGI “Ambassadors” will assist in securing paid positions within companies, non-profits and government institutions
- The program will seek to place one of the students within the State of Michigan political structure and find a corresponding position within the Federal or State system of the Netherlands
- Sponsoring universities will provide on-campus housing for the exchange students
- Students will be honored at the West Michigan Global Initiative galas
- The WMGI will provide travel and cost-of-living assistance
- Low-income students will be given a priority
- Internship work projects will be approved by the WMGI and will be of publishable quality to ensure that the students have a work product to assist with finding employment after graduation
- The program will coordinate with other local and Dutch exchange programs to facilitate additional sustainable relationship building
- The program will encourage semester abroad studies for its participants and will coordinate with the appropriate university program contacts